Total : 3
Sea Nymph off Hartland Point by Roger Adams. Signed, framed and glazed with artists notes on reverse. Overall dimensions 710mm by 550mm.
710mm by 550mm
Price £195 €223.16 $249.44
A painting of the destroyer HMS Somali by James Leech - presented to Arnold Nyburg DSO in 1974. Lt Cmdr Arnold Nyburg was in commanding officer of the 28th Flotilla of tank landing craft on June 6th 1944. During the assault on Gold beach his LCT received a direct hit on the bridge, disabling the ship and leaving Nyburg unconscious - for his part in the action he was awarded the DSC (one of the first to be earned during D-Day). Although we cannot find his name amongst the recorded crew members of the Somali he must surely have had a direct connection with this warship which had been sunk earlier in the war whilst escorting an arctic convoy - PQ14. The Tribal class destroyer Somali, launched in 1937, had a notable if short life on several counts. She was the first ship of the Royal Navy to capture an enemy vessel in WW2 - taking the German freighter Hannah Boge as a prize on September 3rd 1939. During 1940 whilst involved in the Norwegian campaign she was bombed and damaged. Later in the year she, along with destroyers Matabele and Punjabi, shelled and sank the German WBS Adolf Vinnen, which had been engaged in covert operations. In May 1941 she intercepted and boarded the German weather ship Munchen which was equipped with an Enigma coding machine. Although the crew threw the top secret machine overboard they neglected to dispose of the vital codebooks and their capture gave Bletchley Park's code breakers the vital information they had long sought and as a result German naval coded signals could henceforth be read. Whilst escorting Arctic convoy PQ14 the Somali was torpedoed and although taken in tow by sister ship the Ashanti, broke her back and sank in heavy weather five days later. The painting measures some 20 by 30 inches whilst overall dimension are about 2 by 3ft. Although the frame perhaps does not do the subject justice it is the original so we have left things as they are. Included in the sale are an original christmas card from Arnold Nyburg to his wife whilst serving on the Somali, photos of the painting being presented to him plus various copy documents of the ships service history.
Price £520 €595.09 $665.18
Water colour bearing the signature 'Ernest Dade' (1864 to 1935) depicting HMS Warrior passing by a (then) aged ship of the line in stormy conditions..............in original mount and frame. Overall measurements about 24 by 18 inches - image 14 1/2 by 10 1/2. HMS Warrior was designed and built in response to an aggressive French shipbuilding programme which saw the introduction of the first iron-clad warship La Gloire designed by the brilliant naval architect Stanislas Charles Henri Dupuy de Lome. Determined to see off this challenge to the supremacy of the Royal Navy the then First Lord of the Admiralty, Sir John Somerset Pakington, determined to build a ship so superior in terms of quality, speed, size, armament and armour that it would be inconceivable to France that she could take Britain on in a sea battle. When commissioned by Captain the Hon. Arthur Auckland Leopold Pedro Cochrane, on August 1st 1861, Warrior was the largest warship in the world, at 9,210 tons displacement she was fully 60% larger than La Gloire. The ship underwent minor modifications after a sea trial. In June 1862, she started active service in the Channel Squadron, patrolling coastal waters and sailing to Lisbon and Gibraltar. Having introduced a revolution in naval architecture, by 1864 Warrior was superseded by faster designs, with bigger guns and thicker armour. By 1871 she was no longer regarded as the crack ship she had once been, and her roles were downgraded to Coastguard and reserve services. In May of 1883 her fore and main masts were found to be rotten, and not considered worth the cost of repair, Warrior was placed in the reserve, eventually converted to a floating school for the Navy and re-named Vernon III in 1904. Put up for sale as scrap in 1924, no buyer could be found, and so, in March 1929 she left Portsmouth to be taken to Pembroke Dock and converted into a floating oil pontoon, re-named again as Oil Fuel Hulk C77. By 1978, she was the only surviving example of the 'Black Battlefleet' - the 45 iron hulls built for the Royal Navy between 1861 and 1877. Rescued and restored under the aegis of Sir John Smith the Warrior is nowadays on display at Portsmouth.
Price £385 €440.59 $492.49